Tuesday, November 10, 2009

First Day as a Factory Worker

So, I've just gotten home from my first night working at Hick's Plastics, and I'm feeling pretty tired, but I figured I'd do a blog about this now before I forget and go to sleep and then later get involved with other things until work. Firstly, I enjoyed it thoroughly; yes, it's eight hours of doing the exact same thing over and over, but once you get a sort of rhythm going, it just kinda flows and the hours go by pretty quick (unlike retail where you're staring at the clock every thirty seconds).
I only had two things irk me, the first being the break-replacement who lets you take your break, and then when you come back, you realise you were gone just long enough for them to mess up everything you did. Steering wheels are all facing the wrong way, the clippers are on the wrong side, the towels are a mess, the weights are all out of wack... generally unpleasant, and you have to wait until you can cycle back through all your things before it goes back how it ought to be. The second wasn't so much an irk as it was an almost panicky feeling: quality inspection. There are two quality inspectors, one was pretty much training me today (as the person assigned to train me kinda disappeared), the other was just walking around doing her job. The guy who was training me was cool... he'd refill whatever needed refilling and make sure I wasn't having issues with the machines. The lady, however, was a nightmare. She didn't talk, she just kinda walked up, inspected the parts I'd made, kinda looked like she was pondering something, and then proceeded to walk off with one of my parts... I have no idea what happened to it. So, a little unnerving.
The only other thing was the awkwardness of the breaks; it's ten minutes of not working, so what do you do? Well, I sat there and stared at the ceiling for exactly ten minutes. Maybe I'll find something better to do tonight, but for now... it's difficult to figure out what to do with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment