Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"It means they've changed something..."

I was reminded of The Matrix this morning whilst I was at work, namely the part in which they describe how "deja vu" is a hiccup in the system that hints that some portion of the program had been altered. In 7-Eleven's case, however, you don't give a sense that you've done or seen something before but, instead, you suddenly get an odd blue bar across your register screen that says "PLU Updated". It doesn't really seem very important when it pops up, but then you go to ring someone up for something a couple minutes later, and all of a sudden you've got two prices to choose from for damned near every item. Upon inquiring about it later (had to wait until seven this morning before there was anyone working there besides me), I learned that it doesn't just apply to cigarettes, but to any item that can have a price change (or may have a coupon available). So, if I all of a sudden start seeing "PLU Updated" hovering in the air somewhere... I'm gonna know that something's probably different... or that they've cut the hard line.
I also got to experience my first truly unruly convenience store customer (and a good thing, too, I've only got a few days left). I found out later that she was drunk, but that was after she forgot to ask me for lottery scratch-off tickets, asked if she could pay with her card, and upon doing so demanded to know why she didn't have her scratch off tickets. There was a bit bit more confusion (I still have no idea what she actually wanted), and I just about backhanded her out of the store about twice, but at least I can say I've dealt with an angry drunk now. M' a little disappointed that the coppers didn't check in on me last night... woulda been fun to re-iterate that'n to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment