Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"Mopping is a battle you'll never win."

And I have to say, truer words probably haven't been spoken. Now, this isn't true of every store, I'm sure (not sure how many stores out there require you to mop the floors several times a day), but it about hits the nail right on the head for 7-Eleven. It doesn't matter how empty the store and parking lot are when you start mopping (and, in all honesty, it's a pretty small store, so it should only take about twenty minutes, if not less). As soon as two aisles get finished, like clockwork, two people walk in that decide they want something right in that aisle that you just mopped, so now there are footprints that you'll have to go back to later and RE-mop. So, after you've mopped the entire floor about three times over, I've found that it's wise to wait until the people die down again, and then do some spot-check work. Granted, the floor gets a helluva lot more dirty before it gets clean, but it does get there.
Keeping with the theme, I've also noticed that people who want a pack of cigarettes mumble. I'm going to go ahead and say that cigarettes must cause your internal volume to go way down, because these people do not project. They walk forward (and it's pretty obvious what they're after... they've got this sort of "smoker-vibe"), they set their money on the counter, and then... nothing. Maybe a short breath, but that's all you get. Their mouth is clearly moving, and they want cigarettes, but you'll have to use that telekinesis if you want to figure out what kind of cylindrical death they want without them getting an extremely annoyed look on their face. Or, you may get the masters who have perfected the art of setting the money down and gesturing towards the wall with their heads; all the while talking on a cell phone. According to my co-worker, this is pretty much normal.
All in all, however, I think I've been out of work for far too long, as these past three days have kinda burned me out (though that could have to do with my hours getting progressively earlier and earlier), but I start my official midnights position on Saturday. Hopefully the ability to get free coffee whenever I want isn't going to be too crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment