Wednesday, June 8, 2011

DPoSED Experiment: Day Twelve

(I've really gotta start doing these on the days they occur >.<).  I tried going in early for class today, to try and get some of my homework assignments from last week finished up, but I was apparently not early enough, because I barely put a dent in them.  I'm starting to think I might have to withdraw from this and try it again next semester; I don't want to, but I might have to.  Ash would say I brought this on myself (in fact, she did say that, when I mentioned how behind I was).
Tomorrow's the last day of class for the week, and also the start of me being able to stay over for an extra four hours at work; not really sure when I'm going to find time to work on the homework I have to work on, but I'll hopefully figure it out.  It was another hot day today, though it felt like it was more of a dry heat; I was really hoping what Mario had said was true, and that they had fixed the air conditioning at work.  Then I remembered that I work at Hicks Plastics.
I feel like I'm starting to definitely get the hang of the floor now; I know where to find a lot of the totes and packing materials, I'm getting along pretty good with Mack, the shipping guy, and he's been really helpful when it comes to where to put what and where to find things.  I'm a little frustrated at the other jobs I'm required to do from time to time: running to get material from across the street, certifying parts that need to be shipped out ASAP because no one else can be trusted to do it right, and so forth.  it seems like just when I think I have everything set and can go on my break so I can start giving breaks, someone comes up and asks for something, so I get a late start on things.  I don't think I've taken an entire break since I've started on the floor.
I also learned that the metalizer reels get very hot when it's hot in the factory, a fact I learned the hard way when I had to change one of the doors today (this I don't mind doing, since I used to do it when I ran the metalizer anyway), and consequently ended up burning my palms pretty good.  It'll be all better by tomorrow, and the lesson will have been learned... hopefully.
Today I wore a pair of shoes that were a bit more "me" than the ones I've been wearing for the past several days.  While they're still Skechers, they're a little less subdued, and I think I felt a little more myself in them.  Also helps that they aren't a style that looks suspiciously similar to the pair that our quality control, Rose, wears (somewhat thankfully, I don't have a pair of the particular style that she has in my collection).  I stenciled on the Skullcandy logo a while ago, as well as some crossbones on the tongues, and I laced them up all complicated.
This experiment has started me noticing some things about the shoes I wear and how I feel while I do so.  I think constantly wearing a different pair of shoes, some of which I haven't really worn all that often, has made me more conscious of what's on my feet and what my thought process is when I walk out the door in something every day.  In much the same way as Ash has a pair of shoes that she wears when she just doesn't care and wants to be comfortable, I'm currently forcing myself outside of my comfort zone.  Instead of wearing the same two or three pairs of shoes every day, I'm in a constant state of fluctuation, and I think I'm starting to learn something from it.  I'm not really sure what, yet, but I'll be sure to post it when I figure it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment