Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Little Out of the Blue, But...

At about 1:30 this morning I got pulled over for the first time in my four years of driving, and I made a few very interesting observations that I probably never would have if I were still able to say that I'd never been pulled over. Before I go into these, let me just state that I am not going to complain about the police system, being pulled over, ticket prices (I didn't get one anyway), or any of the other things that normally make people roll their eyes or sigh heavily when the topic of being pulled over is brought up.
Firstly, I always thought I'd be extremely panicky and maybe even be shaking slightly when I got pulled over for the first time (I also hoped that I'd be able to go my entire life without having to go through this, but that's not really possible, as far as I know); this turned out to not be the case. I guess I've read and heard enough tips on what to do when pulled over that I knew what to do by instinct, and so things went smoothly and overall it wasn't an entirely bad experience, overlooking the fact that I was, indeed, pulled over.
Secondly, you get this undeniable feeling that your proverbial driving "wings" have been clipped after the officer drives off and you slowly pull out of the church parking lot you decided was the best place to be stopped in. I'm not sure how long this feeling of paranoia is going to last, but I hope it's not for very long, because driving is a lot more enjoyable when I don't have the unfortunate feeling that my every move is now being watched. It's a heck of a lot less fun when you realise that driving isn't meant to be fun anymore.
And so, at least for the next few nights, I won't be darting around the usual winding back streets clearing my head and improving my driving skills (something I think everyone should really do; the majority of drivers are horrible), but will instead be sitting at the computer sulking because I'm afraid I'll get pulled over again.
... I don't expect this slump to last for more than a week, though xP

No comments:

Post a Comment