Sunday, June 5, 2011

DPoSED Experiment: Day Five

So, just as I suspected (a bit too late to question), today was Memorial Day, and as such, no work.  Also no school; a week that doesn't begin with Monday is sure to be a good week, no? Due to the holiday, and the fact that i never plan anything more than an hour or two in advance, I was invited to a Barbecue at Ash's dad's house out in Capac today.  This I accepted with some enthusiasm, as I was told I'd get the opportunity to meet the cousin's of hers who Sean and I volunteered to be marrow donors for (should I even turn out to be an elligible donor).  And so we headed out at around twelve-thirty, stopped a couple times to re-fill Ash's power-steering fluid, and made it there stupidly early.
As this was also an opportunity to meet Ash's father, who had apparently stubbornly argued the fact that I was gay due entirely to the pair of Converse I loaned Ash while I work on her's, it was decided that I wear those very same shoes to prove that I did, in fact, wear them, and hopefully present myself as someone of non-homosexual nature (not that there's anything wrong with it).  I'm pretty sure the first part of that went according to plan; I did in fact show up wearing them, and proceeded to do so for some time afterward.  The second part, well... I know I came off as different, and I suppose if you're hard-pressed to slap a label on it, I guess the easiest route would be to assume I was gay.  Or peculiar.  Or both.  I think Her dad best summed it up for everyone, though, "You're like a cross between Lady Gaga and John Lennon."
The barbecue itself was quite enjoyable, and my biggest regret is not taking more pictures, as I'd brought my camera with me (hell, I didn't even take any of me wearing the shoes... I guess that stays between me and the people that were there).  I found out that I don't have near the energy I did when I was younger, and that Nerf wars tend to die down when everyone's guns are jamming and we'd all rather just swing on the swings.  There were a few moments where I started to feel like I didn't really know the people around me as well as I wanted, but not nearly as many as I had in Chicago; overall, the people I met were good people, and despite them not really getting me, I still felt like I was welcome there.
The day ended out with me being slightly sunburned (a couple days later and you couldn't even tell), Ash's dad being slightly intoxicated and insisting he could fix her leaking high pressure line, and me getting home around one.  All in all... fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment